The Group of Cell Therapy and Tissue Engineering (TERCIT) belongs to the Research Institute on Health Sciences (IUNICS) of the University of the Balearic Islands (UIB) and to the Institut d’Investigació Sanitària Illes Balears, and is dedicated to the research and development of new therapies and technologies in the field of cell therapy, tissue engineering and regenerative medicine and its translation into clinical practice.
The Group is composed by researchers from the UIB, specialist physicians from the Blood and Tissue Bank Foundation of the Balearic Islands (FBSTIB) and Institute of Cardiology from Clinica Rotger.
The main research lines of the group are:
- Preparation and characterization of stem cells (hematopoietic and mesenchymal umbilical cord) in cleanroom (GMP) for use in cell therapy.
- Characterization of the molecular mechanisms of bone regeneration and development of new biomaterials used to restore the function of defective skeletal structures.
- Characterization and development of demineralized bone matrix preparations of human bone suitable for clinical use.
- Study and development of new techniques for the study, preservation and processing of eye tissue.
- New product development from human milk and the study of immune and trophic factors.